Recently, the UPLOADS Research Team conducted a survey to determine whether we should develop a website that allows people within the outdoor education, recreation and adventure sector to access and explore the findings from the National Dataset.
Results at a glance:
- 35 people responded to the survey.
- All participants thought such a website would be a useful resource, and almost all stated they would use it.
- Top three uses for the website: Develop risk management and control strategies (94%); look at summaries of incident data (86%); and understanding the causal factors involved in incidents (77%).
- Top three desirable features: Basic search functions (search by activity type, type of incident, type of adverse outcome) (94%); Incident data displayed in the context of relevant participation data (80%); and Printable summary reports (77%).
- Risk controls: 74% of participants thought they were sufficient, 23% were unsure and 3% said they were not.
- An increased sample size and controlled access to the website were suggested as potential additional risk controls.
The results indicate that there is support from the sector. Therefore, funding will be sought to develop and pilot the proposed website. The ideas and insights gained from this survey will be used to inform the development of the website.